Name Change in Alabama

Adult name change in Alabama normally comes up in two situations. First, women may want to go back to their maiden name after their divorce. Second, some adults just want to change their name for various reasons. Call at mobile attorney at the Monk Law firm to discuss getting your name changed.

Name Change as part of a divorce.

When someone files a divorce in Alabama, the wife may want to go back to her maiden name. If you put the name you want to revert in the agreement and the divorce decree, your name will be changed upon the judge granting the divorce decree. If you do not request a name change in the agreement, you will have to file a petition for name change in the probate court in the county you live.

Alabama Name change through the Probate Court.

You can go through probate court to change your name. A name change petition is filed with the probate court. A hearing is scheduled. At the hearing the judge takes testimony on why you want your name change. As long as, you have meet the statutory requirements, the judge will grant you name change. For an adult name change you must meet the following criteria:

  • You need to be over 19.
  • You must be resident of the county in which you filed your petition
  • You are not a party to any judicial proceeding in any court in any jurisdiction.
  • You are not presently a defendant in any criminal proceeding.
  • You are not seeking to conceal her identity from anyone.
  • You are not attempting to avoid payment of any debt or judgment.
  • You are not attempting to defraud any person.
  • You have not been convicted of any felony or crime involving moral turpitude.

After the hearing, the court will issue a decree with your new name. You can take that decree to the social security office and get a new social security card. You can call take the decree to the diver’s license department to change your driver’s license.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes